Ever since I started blogging, I’ve often tried to share some non-financial information about me so that my readers can get to know the real person behind this blog. For my website, I have my standard bio at the end of each post, the about us page and the blogs page to tell people about me. However, those are the boring standard stuff that every blogger has and I wanted to do something fun and personal. There are quite a bit of stuff that I wanted to share, but I have been struggling to find a suitable concept to present it.
A couple of weeks ago, I came across a very unique “25 things for my 25th birthday” post from Erik at The Mastermind Within. I love the concept and I thought the post was personal, unique and fun. Since my birthday occurs in the same month as his and it was yesterday, I want to borrow this concept and share a laugh or two with my readers. Erik, I hope that you don’t mind that I use a similar concept for this post. Below is a little bit of info about Leo T. Ly that most people don’t know and you won’t see anywhere else. That’s right, exclusive info that you can’t find even on my social media profiles such as Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus. I hope that you find it interesting and fun to learn a thing or two about the author of this blog.
1) Yesterday, I celebrated my 25th birthday for the fifteenth time. Did you know that I stopped aging after 25? I borrowed this idea from a famous singer in Hong Kong named Alan Tam.
2) I was never taught how to ride a bike. I was able to ride my mom’s bike at the age of seven on my first try. Just put your feet on the pedal and try not to fall.
3) When I was in grade school, my dream was to become a Major League Baseball (MLB) pitcher because I had pretty good control of the ball when I pitched. That dream never realized as I never gotten the opportunity to play any organized baseball.
4) When I was in high school, my dream was to become an actor in Hollywood. I killed that dream after constantly hearing of divorce stories of Hollywood stars. Or maybe no one found me attractive – except for my wife.
5) When I was in university, my dream was to be my own boss and own a successful restaurant business. I decided that it’s better to do something else after learning that 60% of restaurants failed within the first three years of operation. These are terrible odds.
6) My dream retirement is to live on a waterfront property with lots of fish. I want to catch my dinner in the lake and grow my own produce in the garden.
7) My favourite pet is a dog. I’ve owned more than five dogs at various times in my life. My current dog’s name is Maxx. He’s a cross between and Jack Russell Terrier and a Chihuahua
8) I taught my dog, Maxx how to speak… in dog language. He barks when I say “Maxx speak.”
9) I am a terrible liar, so I choose to be blunt, straightforward and honest most of the time. However, you shouldn’t be putting too much trust in the things that I say as “everything that I said could be a lie.”
10) When growing up, my idol was Bruce Lee. I was an undersized kid and got picked on a lot when I was in school. I had always imagined myself as Bruce Lee and was able to defend myself whenever I was picked on, instead of getting my butt kicked.
11) I had been drunk only once in my life. Maybe twice, but I don’t remember.
12) One summer, when another kid at the school yard asked me what my name was so that he knows what to call me when we play baseball together. I told him that “my name is Leo.” From then on, I became known as Leo T. Ly
13) My favorite Ninja Turtle is Raphael, but I named myself after Leonardo. I thought Leo was a cooler name to go by.
14) I have a very high level of self-confidence and I believe that I can accomplish any goals that I set for myself. Some people may associate this behaviour with being egotistic, arrogant or snobbish. What other people think of me doesn’t bother me as my motto is: “if you don’t believe in yourself, then no one will believe in you.” Never stop believing in yourself. “If you think you can, then YOU definitely can.”
15) My astrology sign is Leo. When I wash a freshman in university, I was placed in a group with Leo (the lion) as the mascot. Is it a coincidence that I named myself Leo?
16) I am Chinese. I was born in Vietnam. I immigrated to Canada and became a Canadian. I aspire to retire in Hawaii as an American.
17) I planted 2 cherries, 2 apples, and 2 Asian pears trees in my backyard. With only six trees, I have two varieties of cherries, six varieties of apples and four varieties of Asian pears. Did I mention that I also planted blueberries and strawberries?
18) I never attended grade four. I started school in Vietnam and never finished grade three. Once I arrived in Canada, I attended grade five and on.
19) I have a winning record against Las Vegas. On my first trip to Vegas for my friend’s bachelor party three years ago, I won enough money to pay for my trip and came home with extra money in my pocket. 1 for Leo, 0 for Vegas.
20) I love to watch NFL football. My favorite player is the one and only Payton Manning. I wrote a guest post on Mustard Seed Money titled, Achieving Financial Freedom Is Like Building Your Superbowl Winning Team It also, pains me to correctly predicted that the Patriot won Super Bowl 52 because I am not a Patriot fan.
21) When I was born, my birthday was recorded in the lunar calendar, which calculates dates according to the rotation of the moon around the Earth. However, the modern world uses the solar calendar, which calculates the rotation of the Earth around the sun. So when I obtained my id, the lunar calendar date was recorded without making the adjustments. Hence, this birthday is not really in June, but it’s in July. Are you confused yet? Me too.
22) My first job, I made 5 bucks per hour delivering flyers door to door in the grueling summer heat for a take out restaurant. That experience made me realize that I need to find better ways to make money and have my money work harder than me.
23) In 2016, my last dollar earned was being taxed at a rate of 43.41%. However, after some tax planning, deductions and claims, I paid an overall tax rate of only 13.0% based on my gross income. Best of all, I got a big fat refund check after filing my taxes. I know that some of you would say that I gave the government a free loan. However, some of the actions that I took to minimize my taxes have to be done on an ongoing basis and it’s difficult for me to lower the tax withholding ahead fo time. As long as I have more money in my pocket, a short-term loan to the government is not an issue.
24) I once gave my phone number to a girl in high school in the form of algebra equations. I still haven’t solved the mystery of why I never received a call from her.
25) My favorite summer treat is a banana flavour popsicle. I believe that a really smart girl stole my heart when she offered me half of her banana flavour popsicle years ago. I can’t believe that I got picked up and fell for half of a popsicle. I need higher standards.
26) Bonus. Originally, I was about to end at 25, but I just remember that I am obsessed with the number 26. So I added one to make it 26. Why is 26 my favourite number? I was born on the 26th day on sun calendar. Now you know.
I hope that you enjoyed this post and got to know the real Leo T. Ly behind this blog a little better. It’s not one of the most original posts, I must admit, but I had a lot of fun with sharing some of my personal information with you. If anyone has any questions that he/she is dying to ask me, you can ask it in the comment. Don’t be shy.